Application and General Admissions Information
Application requirements for the master's degrees in music vary by program. For program-specific information, navigate to your program page. However, all student applications must include the following:
- Baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university
- Completed application to the graduate school ($65)
- Acquired proficiency in music theory, music history/literature, and music performance
- Official transcripts from all colleges attended
- Three references
- Applicants for either the Master of Music degree in performance or the Master of Music Therapy degree whose undergraduate GPA is 3.0 or higher may request waiver of GRE scores. All applicants whose GPA is less than 3.0 must submit GRE scores less than 5 years old.
Deadline for priority consideration for assistantships is March 1
Deadline for priority screening for admission is March 1
Final deadline for fall admission is July 1.
Contact the program director listed to the left for the program you are seeking.
Current Graduate Students
Welcome to graduate study in music at Appalachian State University. The faculty and staff of the Hayes School of Music wish you success in your graduate program and are here to assist you in every possible way.
This Handbook has been prepared to help orient you to the graduate music programs and to inform you of the policies and procedures of the Hayes School of Music. You should also become familiar with the policies and procedures of the Graduate School as published in the Graduate Bulletin.
Please read the handbook carefully and do not hesitate to ask questions. We are available to assist you at any time.