Frequently Asked Questions

What is the minimum GRE score?

The Master of Music in Performance does not require that you take the GRE exam as long as your undergraduate GPA is 3.0 or above.  If it is below 3.0 the GRE is required by the University.   Admissions to the Master of Music Therapy degree does require taking the GRE. The minimum GRE score for this degree depends with each year and each applicant on a case-by-case basis. When considering applicants, we look at and weigh each aspect with great importance.  See the contact information on the left for questions about each of these degrees.

Do you give tuition waivers?

See Assistantships and Scholarships.

Requirements for audition?

For information regarding auditions, navigate to your specific degree page via Programs of Study.

What kind of area is Boone?

See Town of Boone.

How important are letters of reference?

Letters of reference are considered very seriously in the application process, and so are extremely important for admission. The applicant is encouraged to request letters from individuals who have taught or supervised the applicant and who can attest to the applicant's potential for success in graduate school as well as in his or her chosen area of study.

What percentage of Music Therapy applicants are accepted?

The number and percentage of music therapy applicants admitted to the Program varies each year depending the applicant pool and space in the Program. The Music Therapy Equivalency and Masters Programs are rigorous, and strong academic, music, and interpersonal skills are necessary for success in coursework and clinical training. The Admissions Committee uses each part of the application to build a comprehensive picture of the applicant that helps to assess a student's potential to be successful in the program. As such, admission depends as much on the quality of the individual application as it does on the quality and size of the applicant pool. While the program's admissions process is selective, the program cultivates an intentionally supportive environment to facilitate development of strong music therapists.

My undergraduate degree is from an institution not accredited by SACS. Can I still apply?